Saturday, August 22, 2009

Treasure (Un)earthed !!

Few days back, I was getting bored on one of the weekends...as most of the places were unsafe to go and have fun...courtesy swine flu. So I just thought of making some changes to my room...as in looks and all. I started with re-arranging my books / notebooks that I had used last few years...( I love keeping few of my old books and note books with me...as they remind me of my childhood or teen-age...when the life was much more exciting as compared to what it is now). While flipping the pages of one of my older books, a folded sheet of paper popped out of it and fell down on the floor. I picked it up and looked at it. It took me less than a second to realize what it was. It evoked poignant memories of my sophomore years. This sheet of paper belonged to a diary that my elder brother had given to me when I was in 9th standard...telling me to get into the habit of daily diary writing. I never was able to cultivate that habit and after few failed attempts the diary was thrown in one corner of my room and was not touched until I read my first book, The God of small things. I was very much inspired by the book and something in me impelled me to write. I wanted to give myself a try at writing. I picked up the same diary and started thinking about a good topic to start with. And then one good evening, I wrote my first poem named - Safalta. To my surprise, everybody in my family appreciated it and I was savouring my first tryst with writing. Few days later followed Raah...and few more...and then the very next year, in the pressure to excel in 10th standard, I somehow, unconciously, left that habit behind me.

And the sheet of paper that had popped out was the one carrying these two poems. I felt as if a treasure was unearthed...but after few minutes...another thought struck me...may be a treasure was earthed (buried) some years ago. How many such treasures do we bury in the zeal to go ahead in the rat race...numerous!!...We wish to be successful, rich, known, etc but in that quest, we are actually burying the God gifted treasures that we have. Stop for a little while and have a look around. People who are successful and rich ( in the broader sense of the word) are actually the ones who opted to sharpen one or more of these treasures and delved deep into it...followed it and pursued it till they pushed it into the REALMS OF MAGIC !!...and guess what !!...just ask a simple question to yourself - "Who you have ever dreamt to be like?"...and in most of the cases the answer will be a person who was indifferent to the rat race and who relied upon one of these God gifted treasures. Isn't it?

:)

Anyways, below are the two poems that were my first two - "Safalta" and "Raah".

2 comments:

  1. a MARVELLOUS thought indeed and explicit and amazingly expressed. Brother I am proud of you and forgive me if unknowingly or knowingly I have asked you ever to be in that Rat race and have killed the Originality in you. Keep it up... May God bless you in everything radical you wish or would do in the Lifetime with all the gifted things you have.......Amen.

    ReplyDelete