Few days back, I was travelling by train from Pune to my home-town. It was a pretty boring journey as I had no one accompanying me. And to add to my misery, I was travelling by 2nd AC. Now one would think, "Travelling by 2nd AC...that should add to the comfort...but not misery". But that does not hold true for me. Being gregarious by nature, I was hating the deadly silent and serene surroundings, where no-one was interested in talking to any stranger (including me).
In the otherwise boring journey, an interesting thing happened. It was 4 a.m. in the morning when I woke up. Reason?? a nightmare?!?! Naahh...rather I badly wanted to pee. I rushed to one of the toilets. It was a western style toilet. And I was just about to start to have a leak when all of a sudden, I observed a line written on the wall next to the commode that caught my attention. It read "Gentlemen will lift the seat.". I looked down and...Oh my God, I was not acting like a gentleman. But I am a gentleman and so immediately, I lifted the seat up. Feeling proud of myself on being and behaving like a gentleman...I peed with honour, washed my hands properly and checked if I turned off the tap properly. After all, I am a gentleman and I should behave like one. I returned to my berth and lied down. But I was amused with something. That line had an impact on me in no time. And the reason my brain acted upon the line in no time was the word "Gentlemen". Had it been a normal line saying something like "Please...do this, do that...blah blah", my brain would have easily overlooked it (especially when it was 4 a.m. in the morning and you have got up to pee :) it's easy to neglect everything else).
And I was wondering that even in a closed toilet, where you are all alone by yourself, you care about being called a Gentleman...not by anyone else...but by yourself (or probably a dead wall). Isn't the feeling/wish/desire of being special/gentleman so deeply ingrained in any human being that a person sometimes ends up doing anything (good/bad) and everything to gain that importance. And this is the very tendency that is used by all the advertisements, marketing people,etc. Just by making you feel that using a deodorant can turn you into a girl magnet, they make you buy it.
Yet another thing I realized that this power of FEEL GOOD factor can actually be harnessed in a proper way. Today what I observe and probably what is true as well is that the human brain (in general) has become blind to instructions reading like "Please don't...blah blah", so may be signboards having instructions like "Gentlemen will not spit here" or "Well mannered will switch off mobile phones" will serve the purpose better than "Please Do not spit" or "Please Switch off the mobile phones"...and here is my first experiment... "Gentlemen, brainy, well mannered, intellectual, smart, handsome people will leave a comment after reading this post" ;) :) After all, we all are well mannered gentlemen ;)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

hehehehe...nice one....
ReplyDeletenice one anuj .. now you have made everyone realise that you can get ideas from anywhere to speak and blog about. :)
ReplyDeletewell written Bro , you are improving as a blogger and as a gentleman ;-)
ReplyDeleteA nice one indeed. There were many instances in the write up that ink towards a person who has a great original ability of expression. Congarts for justifying your gregariousness by this beautiful piece of subtle expression.
ReplyDeleteI am compelled to write the lines of Plato, 'Nothing ever is, everything is becoming'.....
Keep the good work going, you never know when Marvellous is in the making.......
hehehe.... these comments are just nt sufficient to stop the ever rocking indian crowd :p
ReplyDeletenot to go far off... DEKHO GADHA M#$T RAHA HAI, written on Allahabad Railway Station wall wasnt sufficient enough to stop me from doing it ;)... the pressure was such u see :D
hahaha...you dragged me into writing this comment but good one ...but the last line "after all, we are all gentlemen" bewilders me ..what are women suppose to do?...
ReplyDeleteHello Anuj Bhaiya ... visiting your blog for the first time and now it surely won't be the last time. You have named the Blog in a very interesting way and the reason behind it is kind of a perfect recipe.
ReplyDeletecoming back to the post, it is an interesting thing you mentioned marketing and the feel good factor; isn't it all possible due to our own low self esteem; we need a certificate from others to tell what we are ... But then that is how most of the world is, sadly !!
gud 1
ReplyDeleteGood one! i especially like one of the lables: "toilet"!! i guess we need more intelligent ad maker minds in our public offices!
ReplyDelete"i wish there was a cook-book of life with all the recepies telling you WHAT TO DO WHEN !! I wish..."
ReplyDeleteThat would be kinda boring .. don't you think? if you know what to do in every situation, you don't have anything left to learn ... and that - trust me on this one - is boring.
@AV: i agree...that would be boring...but that is the only one thing that comes to ur mind whenever u screw-up badly in any situation :)...ant this blog was a result of one such screw-up that i did...and thats y the line is there :):)
ReplyDeleteOur public property(railways) does not distinguish on the basis of gender,the comment you saw must be written by some female :)
ReplyDeleteReason is well known ;P
You acted as ecpected by that female,thus proving her point males are gentle need is to ****
Good one! �� I liked the soul of the story/blog that yes, even in isolation, we care for being a gentleman when prodded to behave like one. Obviously, the majority of the people think otherwise - nobody is seeing, how does it matter!
ReplyDeleteGoing one step further, definitely your suggestion of replacing "Do's and Don'ts" with thought-invoking titles ��
Only if, the majority of public started thinking of the larger good than their own! Keeping the neighborhood clean rather than just keeping the house clean.
I can go on and on about it but I feel too strongly about it and I will start digressing. So let me say it's a nice blog with an honest soul.
Aawww Anuj.. It was definitely the Aaww moment... Loved your blog Gentleman ;)
ReplyDelete