Few months back, there was an initiative taken by the company I work in, to save the Mother Earth by GOING GREEN. Under this initiative, a limited number of porcelain cups were placed in every pantry in the office. Also plastic bottles with green caps were distributed to all the employees. All these steps were undertaken to minimise the use of plastic cups. People were urged to use water bottles rather than taking water in plastic cups to their seats and also to use porcelain cups instead of plastic cups to have beverages. I liked the idea. Also, A note saying "THINK before USE" pasted in the wall next to where plastic cups are kept makes the message louder.
And as I mentioned before, I liked the idea and started using as less plastic cups as I could. And to bring a similar awareness, I am writing this post as well. Small small things like the afore-mentioned plastic cups thing can bring a big change. A few are lined up. This is the list of things that i am already following and thus are very practical to do. Please have a look:
1) Request Banks to send digital credit card and debit card statements on your mail-id's , thus minimizing the paper wastage.
2) Request for online postpaid mobile bills rather than paper bills to be sent on your mail-id's.
3) Take print-outs only when its really urgent.
4) While taking print-outs, Make sure that you use both the sides of paper to print on.
5) Carry a hanker-chief with yourself to avoid using tissue papers wherever you can.
6) Switching off the monitor when are going away from your seat.
7) Switching off the monitor (at home), when only songs are being played and you don't really need the monitor.
8) Don't ask for poly-bags at various shops when you actually can do without it.
9) Turning off your vehicle's engine on red-lights.
10) Honk only when it's needed.
11) While working-out in gyms, etc, use one glass for drinking water and keep it aside to use it every time you wish to have water. According to my observation, a person going to gym uses more than 10 plastic cups per day while working-out, to drink water in the small breaks between the exercises. This count can easily be reduced to 1 per person.
...and so on.
I feel proud to do anything that I can to save the Mother Earth. I feel proud when I don't see even a single paper credit card statements/phone bills/etc in my pigeon hole. I feel proud switching off my monitor...and I will feel proud of myself if I can inspire even one person to think about this and act. A small act on your part can play a big part in transforming world.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

hehehehehe.... dunno why but felt like laughing after reading ur blog. no reason!! :)
ReplyDeleteI shared similar ideas, but people looked more towards what I didn't do than what I did do!! Though that didn't much bother me!!
The blog on honking was just a small try towards that.
Hope more than one gets inspired by this blog!!
All the best.
An awe-inspiring thought my friend, i wish more people understand your ideas and we can make this planet, age a little slower.
ReplyDelete